The Cursed Dress

It was April 22,2017, the day of my interview. I have waited for this chance, for this promotion, there were a lot of candidates for the position but if there is anything that I can do to stand out, that is with how I dress. Let’s be honest, I have a good sense of style and people has always liked how posh I dress up. I found this dress with the proper length and fit a couple of days ago. It was pricey but then I saw that it was 70% off, it was still pricey but I decided to buy it for the interview.

A week has passed and they gave us the results, out of the 12 people that applied, they only took 2 and of course, I was not one of them. I wanted to cry, how I wish my supervisor gave me the news so I can wallow on the sad news during my leave. It was hard for me to pretend to be happy. I was happy for my friends who got the post but I was just not in the congratulatory mood, I spoke to my friends on how happy I am, I was just sorry that I was not celebratory mood and liking their posts in social media or just awkward when people would just congratulate them. I sighed and one of my friends reassure me that it was ok and he did not take offense of how I was acting. My supervisor prepared an action plan for me and after 3 months, they gave me a project that would help me work on my opportunities. After 2 months, I got the opportunity to be interviewed again.

Just when I gave up that I would no longer be promoted, they gave me this opportunity. I was grateful

and it was around the time of my birthday so I was thinking, this is God’s gift. I once again, wore the said dress, though this time it was just a phone interview, I still decided to dress up for the occasion. Of the 3 applicants, I was the only one who was not picked for the position, gosh, I was so embarrassed thinking that there must be something wrong with me or whatever. Apparently, the project that they gave me to improve my opportunities became a liability during the interview. Sigh, one of my interviewers, who happened to be a friend of mine and previous schoolmate assured me that my skills cannot be judged with just one interview, maybe it was just not God’s time or maybe it was just because the dress is cursed.

For whatever reason, I do believe that the dress is cursed but I also think that the dress is pretty. Even though I believe that the dress is cursed, I continue to wear it on big events of my life. I decided one day to just wear it on a regular day and curled my hair (back when I still used to have a long hair). I decided to wear this brown belt and though the dress was cursed, that day was a regular day. Maybe a brown belt can beat the curse or whatever but I will not stop wearing this dress even though this dress is a reminder of my failed attempts to showcase my capabilities as a leader.

Share your thoughts on the comments below!

Comments